Since the founding of St Stephen’s in 1922, the Parish has always seen service to, and involvement with, the broader community as a key to its role as a church in Coorparoo. In 1937 the church embarked on a building project to erect what is now known as the “Church Hall” at the request of then Rector, Rev Leonard Quinlin, in response to the need to accommodate the growing Sunday School population and to develop the social side of Parish life.
Funds for the hall, costing £900, were received from the Parishioners from March of that year with the hall constructed and paid for by November! Construction of the hall was a significant achievement and was featured in a Courier Mail article on November 20, 1937.
In the 80 years since its construction, the building has had internal toilets added, kitchen renovated and roof replaced. It was even relocated and rotated on the site to make way for the ‘new’ church sanctuary building constructed in 1957.
Over this time, the Parish Hall has hosted numerous functions, events, church ministries and community events.